Did you know that most falls happen in the home? There are ways to make your home more safe to decrease your risk of falling.
Here are some tips to prevent falls in your home.
1) Avoid having cords or wires on the ground or in an area where you have to walk around or over them
2) De-clutter! Avoid having clutter around, the less tripping hazards the better off you will be
3) Have proper lighting- keep spare light bulbs at your house and in an easily accessible place. Is there a light close to your bed? It is best to have a light that is within reach of your bed. Use nights lights! You can get motion sensor lights which can be helpful especially at night.
4) Try to keep objects off of the floor
5) Have a clear path from your bed to the bathroom
6) Avoid and/or be cautious with area rugs – if you have them, use double sided tape or non-slip backing so they don’t move around
7) Have non-slip mats in the shower/tub and always watch out for wet spots on the floor. Grab bars are also great to have.
8) In the kitchen, try to keep things you use often on the lower shelves of cabinets, or around or at counter/waist height.
9) Outdoors or indoors, make sure to have sturdy handrails ( 2 rails are better than 1!). Keep steps cleared, well lit, and if they are uneven, loose, or in rough shape, fix them; it will be worth it!
10) Exercise or get some form of physical activity daily! 🙂
If you would like more ways to make your home safer, would like a consultation/walk through of your home with safety recommendations or have questions please contact A to Z Personal Wellness.