It is a great time to get outside and go for a walk. I thought I would share some of our favorite walking paths around the Rochester area. I have put together a list of paths that are mostly flat, paved and have benches to rest and enjoy the scenery. These paths also happen to be very toddler and stroller friendly, if you are looking for a nice place to walk and explore with grandkids!
There are so many benefits to walking, even if it is only 10 minutes a day. Let’s start with the fact that it is free and you can do it anywhere! Walking helps strengthen muscles, reduces joint pain, improves quality of sleep, improves cognition, reduces anxiety and depression, reduces blood pressure and risk of heart disease, diabetes and more! If those weren’t enough reasons to take a walk, take advantage of the weather, make it fun and call a friend to join you!
Also make sure to start small if you have been hibernating all winter. Slowly increase your walking time/distance.
Here are 7 places to try:
- Cobbs Hill Reservoir – a .7 mile paved loop with places to stop and rest https://www.cityofrochester.gov/cobbshill/
- North Ponds Park – 1 mile loop around both ponds, paved path with benches to rest, does have a few inclines http://www.ci.webster.ny.us/Facilities/Facility/Details/26
- Penfield Veterans Memorial Park – paved paths but also has a nature trail, fairy houses, a playground and a a few other things for grandkids to enjoy https://www.penfield.org/detail_T12_R60.php
- Butterfly Nature Trail – .25 mile, can be down and back or you can also do a loop, flat trail https://www.waynecountytourism.com/directory-wc/listing/butterfly-nature-trail/
- Fellows Rd park – 1 mile paved path loop that has benches to rest https://perinton.org/departments/randp/parks-department/parks/fellows-road-park/
- The canal path in the Village of Fairport and Thomas Creek Wetlands Walk – wetland walk is on a boardwalk off of the canal path
- Brickyard Trail at Sandra L. Frankel Nature park – .8 miles, flat trail with sitting area https://www.townofbrighton.org/827/Sandra-L-Frankel-Nature-Park
If you have concerns about going for a walk outside or would like to improve your walking, contact A to Z Personal Wellness.